[MacPerl] tab-return characters

how do I match a 'tab-return' character.  In the unix world,  I've been
doing this by telling perl to look for '\003' like

$text =~ s/\003/HI/g;

I have a file with embedded tab-return characters that I want to
translate.  Other stuff works fine like '\015' for returns and '\030'
for
spaces but for some reason it just skips over the '\003'.

 is there a macperl equilvalent or does this have more to do with the
mac environment?

thanks
Mark

--
Its reassuring to know that if you behave strangely enough, society will
take full responsibility for you.