Re: [MacPerl] Re: Welcome to mac-perl

In article <mac-perl.199807160938.LAA29810@iis.ee.ethz.ch>, Milivoj
Ivkovic <mi@alma.ch> wrote:

>>If I succeed installing it... :-)
>
>I installed the bigappl distribution, but that doesn't seem to be enough.
>I can't find the /lib directories anywhere on the disk.

If you have a PPC then this isn't the one you want. The bigappl has no lib
directory becase the "standard" modules are linked into the app itself, as
this is intended for 68K systems without CFM, ie which lack a way to call
shared libraries at runtime. (At least this is my understanding....) You
probably want Mac_Perl_520r4_appl.

>A sample script I copied over doesn't run, in Simple Text it displays
>boxes for line endings

You have to convert Unix line ending to Mac line endings. BBEdit will do
this for you conveniently (if you have it), or you can write a tiny script
to do it. There is one on the MacPerl CD; I don't know whether it's on
Chris Nandor's web site.

>there's no command-line, ... yet another OS to learn using... Weren't
>Macs supposed to be easy? :-) ...

Yes, except when they are trying to adhere closely to something with a
strong Unix/command-line heritage :)  There is a "one-liner" option in the
MacPerl menu for doing "perl -e" command-line scripts, and MacPerl
implements its own console-type window, so you really won't miss the
command line very much. (And you can copy text out of the console window
after your program is done, something which really isn't possible under
DOS....)

Welcome, and have fun with MacPerl!