Re: [Off] vcards (was [MacPerl] PTF site)

Charles Albrecht <albrecht@gate.net> writes:
>David Turley wrote:
>>Since I get more vcards from this list, than from the other 9 lists I
>>subscribe to combined, I will consider this (almost) on topic.

Hmm, I count 4 vcards this year, all sent by the same subscriber within the
past week or so. You are either engaging in a bit of hyperbole or you've led
a very sheltered life :-)

>>Why do so many people feel they must send their name and address as
>>attachments to email.

I'm certainly no fan of vcards either. It's the Internet's equivalent of
hanging a giant "Kick me!" sign on one's back (Attaching PGP signatures
to unimportant mails or posting, BTW, is the Internet's equivalent of
"Kick me, I'm a nerd" :-).

>>Wondering if Matthias could add messages with vcards to his spam filters
>>and trash them outright.

I could technically do that, but it would be wrong. George's messages are
on-topic, and the presence of a vcard doesn't make them off-topic.

>Or, we could politely ask george to turn them off as a default.

Now that's more in the spirit of this mailing list! George, given that vcards
are fairly unpopular, could you please turn them off in your mail client?

Matthias

  "We have built a lot of security directly into Java to make it virus-proof.
   And people's concerns about security on the Net tend to be based on age.
   You talk to people in their twenties and they are much less concerned about
   it than older generations. Pretty soon it won't worry them at all."'
                                -- Scott McNealy, _Sunday Times_ 19Nov95