Re: [MacPerl] New User's MacPerl Questions

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Kevin Reid wrote:

> > 3) Many of the text files I'll be encoding into HTML will have special Mac
> > characters like option-8 bullets and long dashes. What is the best way to
> > tackle this?
>
> MacPerl handles them just fine, both in input and in scripts.

Note, however, that web browsers won't handle them, perhaps not even Mac
web browsers.  You will need to convert these to ISO escapes (which are
also handled VERY unevenly by the different browsers), or convert them to
less-sophisticated equivalents, such as * for bullet (or gaack!
<UL compact><LI>xxx</UL>) and " for fancy quotes and -- for long dashes.
Good luck.  :)

Maybe some of the other suggestions are more clever.  If your audience is
sufficiently small, you may be able to workaround the problems.  If your
audience is large, cross-platform, and using many different browsers, you
may have to resort to GIF images of some characters (and annoy Lynx/text
browser users).

--
MattLangford