Re: [MacPerl] 32k limit with CGI and WebSTAR 3.0

At 13:33 -0500 9/15/98, Marcel Brown wrote:
>I found a fairly recent posting on this topic::
>
>     I have a Perl 5.2.0r4 CGI script that returns HTML to WebSTAR 3.0.
>
>     If the result is less than 32k, the entire HTML result makes it to the
>     client web browser.
>
>     If the result is greater than 32k (say 40k), WebSTAR only receives
>     32768 bytes, and so the entire HTML result does not make it to the
>     client web browser.
>
>     Is this a bug in MacPerl, "CGI Script" Perl extension, or WebSTAR.

It is not a bug.  It is a design choice in WebSTAR (and the others which do
the same thing).  You can send any amount of data (in chunks less than 32K
each) using the multi-response system (whose details I don't remember).  On
the first response you say "there will be multiple responses"; on each of
the others except the last you say "there will be more"; on the last you
say "this is it".  Or something like that.

There has never been a 32K limit to the data in an Apple event...very early
on, there was a 64K limit (counting overhead, so the limit was a bit under
64K).

   --John
--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach him to fish,