Re: [MacPerl] Installing modules.

On 9/18/98 at 7:44 AM, pudge@pobox.com (Chris Nandor) wrote:

> Also add .al, .ph, .pl, .plx, .ix, or others to the list, maybe.

.al is currently claimed by ALAW audio.  .pl is already mapped to
MacPerl, though only in recent versions of IC, which you may not be
seeing if you created your prefs a long time ago and dragged them
through subsequent IC and OS revs.  .ph, .plx, and .ix are available --
but I'm not familiar with .plx or .ix (or .al in the context of perl).
Where do they crop up?

> Perhaps we could "lobby" the IC people to "fix" this?

I spoke to Quinn a few days ago about it.  It'll be easy to add new
mappings, but a stronger case needs to be made for overriding one which
has already been circulated.

Has anyone ever run across an image file actually marked .pm for pixmap?
Where are they used, and on what platforms?

If we can get a resolution on this in the next few weeks, it may be
quite feasible to get the changes made to Internet Config settings in
time to roll them into the Mac OS 8.6 release.

btw - substantial numbers of users are currently advised by their
authority figures to disable Expander's automatic line-ending
translation, because it can woefully corrupt certain Adobe Acrobat files
(due to the fact that Acrobat files have type "TEXT" but may still
contain binary data).  In that case, it won't matter what a user's
Internet Config settings are, and since most people don't open up module
files in their editors, let alone resave them....

  -nat