Re: [MacPerl] Installing modules.

At 12.21 -0400 1998.09.20, Nathaniel Irons wrote:
>On 9/18/98 at 7:44 AM, pudge@pobox.com (Chris Nandor) wrote:
>
>> Also add .al, .ph, .pl, .plx, .ix, or others to the list, maybe.
>
>.al is currently claimed by ALAW audio.  .pl is already mapped to
>MacPerl, though only in recent versions of IC, which you may not be
>seeing if you created your prefs a long time ago and dragged them
>through subsequent IC and OS revs.  .ph, .plx, and .ix are available --
>but I'm not familiar with .plx or .ix (or .al in the context of perl).
>Where do they crop up?

.plx is what I and others are using a lot for perl scripts, since .pl is
specifically meant for Perl library.  .al is an AutoLoader file, .ix is an
AutoLoader index file (both created when AutoSplitting a module).

>> Perhaps we could "lobby" the IC people to "fix" this?
>
>I spoke to Quinn a few days ago about it.  It'll be easy to add new
>mappings, but a stronger case needs to be made for overriding one which
>has already been circulated.
>
>Has anyone ever run across an image file actually marked .pm for pixmap?
>Where are they used, and on what platforms?
>
>If we can get a resolution on this in the next few weeks, it may be
>quite feasible to get the changes made to Internet Config settings in
>time to roll them into the Mac OS 8.6 release.

I have never seen .pm used for images, and even if I had, I think its use
for Perl modules would be much more useful and common.

>btw - substantial numbers of users are currently advised by their
>authority figures to disable Expander's automatic line-ending
>translation, because it can woefully corrupt certain Adobe Acrobat files
>(due to the fact that Acrobat files have type "TEXT" but may still
>contain binary data).  In that case, it won't matter what a user's
>Internet Config settings are, and since most people don't open up module
>files in their editors, let alone resave them....

Yes.  There is no easy answer, except "check your line endings".  But at
the least, I think adding .pm and .plx to IE would be a Good Thing.  The
fact that Acrobat's format seems to be fundamentally broken in this respect
should not change my opinion of what is Right.  :-)

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])