Re: [MacPerl] Glue::Stuck::Help

At 14.07 -0400 1998.09.24, Josh Gemmell wrote:
>$db1 = $fm->ae_object( document => $database );
>$fm->open( $db1 );

>At any rate, this doesn't work. It starts up FileMaker OK, but then does
>nothing. I'm obviously missing something important here, but I have no
>idea what. Your example worked on volume folders in the finder, not
>programs opening documents.

Well, for starters, if you had -w on, you would have gotten a couple of
errors from StandardFile.pl, but more importantly, you would have gotten:

  # Application error -1700: Unable to coerce the data to the desired type.
  File 'Bird:Pudge:pudgeprogs:perl:site_specific:Mac:Glue.pm'; Line 76

Basically, I cannot figure out how FM is supposed to take an object.  If
you run the same script from AppleScript, you get the same error:

  tell application "FileMaker Pro"
    open document "HD:myfile"
  end tell

So the fault is not with the glue, but with figuring out the right syntax
to use in AppleScript, and applying that to the MacPerl script.  Heck,
maybe FM Pro is broken here.

What I did was simplify matters: if you run this in AppleScript, it works:

  tell application "FileMaker Pro"
    open "HD:myfile"
  end tell

Using Capture AE, I see that it is just sending text to the app, not an
object.  But FM Pro's aete resource says it expects an object, so the glue
tells you to use an object.  So what to do?

Change the glue.

Change this line (87) from:

                ['----', keyDirectObject(), 'obj ', 1, 0, 0, 1],

to:

                ['----', keyDirectObject(), 'TEXT', 1, 0, 0, 1],

Then change your script to:

#  $db1 = $fm->ae_object( document => $database );  # no object needed now
   $fm->open( $database );

This is also the same process you have to go through when making a glue in
Frontier.  Some things may not work as advertised, and you have to tweak it.

The hope would be that one person or group of people would get one glue
working right, and then everyone else can use that glue.

Hope this helps ... keep us updated on your progress as you go.  :-)

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])