Re: [MacPerl] Hm ... kAENoReply takes longer?

Chris Nandor writes Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:01:36 -0400:

>Even if I use kAEHighPriority, it takes longer for events to process if I
>use kAENoReply instead of kAEWaitReply.  Is this a MacPerl thing, or an
>AppleEvents thing ... ?

Yes, I've noticed that and wondered about it too.

I am far from clear what the rules are about when you should use kAENoReply
and when you should use kAEWaitReply.

For instance in the script I posted on the 10th September (Re: [MacPerl]
system 'clear' for interfaces) the machine _hangs_ if kAEWaitReply is used.
This seems reasonable since there _isn't_ a reply in this case (a MacPerl
misc/slct event).

On the other hand a BBEdit core/clos event works _better_ if kAEWaitReply
is used, even though there is no reply in this case either.

One would have thought you would use kAENoReply if there was no reply and
kAEWaitReply if there was a reply, but it seems to be more complicated than
this. What are the rules here?

Alan Fry