Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl and Alpha, "Illegal character \012" SOLVED!

takeshi yano , thanks for the post to MacPerl.

While I don't have/use Alpha and did know about Newline vs Carriage-Returns vs Linefeeds (at lest in an ASCII sense), I hadn't realized the some software might reverse the two of them.

I have had problems running downloaded scripts and data and found that the \n vs \r issue was the heart of the matter and if I ran a program forcing the exchange everything worked. BBEdit didn't seem to handle the correction consistently, hence the program.

This is a long winded way of saying please post insights like these (even if I don't go the script route).

Garry

SNIP
Why does the '\n' have to go?

(in octal)
MacPerl Alpha's tcl
\n Newline 015 012
\r Carriage-return 012 015

This is one for the FAQ-O-Matic.

SNIP
Also, if posting info like the description I posted for Alpha is not appropriate for the MacPerl FAQ then please tell me.

Corrections gladly accepted,

takeshi yano
--
email: mailto:takyano@pubzone.com