[MacPerl] MacPerl and Alpha

With some older versions of MacPerl I had no problems editing a script
in Alpha and sending it to MacPerl to run.  But no longer -- now I get

  # Illegal character \012 (carriage return).
  File 'Untitled'; Line 2
  # (Maybe you didn't strip carriage returns after a network transfer?)

The script was *not* from a network transfer.  I downloaded Alpha and
MacPerl the other day; started both; opened a new document in Alpha;
set Perl mode; typed 'print "Hello world\n";'; and did "Run the
buffer" from the Camel menu.  I get the aforementioned error.

The script has Mac linebreaks.  For a screen shot (showing the Alpha
status bar, etc.) see <http://web.syr.edu/~rsholmes/alphaperl.JPG>.

I do not get this error if I save the file and open it from MacPerl
and run it there, or if I copy the file in Alpha, paste it in MacPerl,
and run it -- only if I send it from Alpha to MacPerl.

I see this behavior using Alpha 7.1 or Alpha 6.5; a PowerMac 7200/90
running Mac OS 7.5.5 or a PowerMac G3 running Mac OS 8.1; and MacPerl
5.2.0r4, but *not* with MacPerl 4.1.8.  Seems to suggest a problem (or
a feature) with MacPerl 5.2.0r4.

Any ideas?  Apologies if this is a FAQ, but I don't see any discussion
of it in the MacPerl FAQ or the list archives.

--
- Rich Holmes
  Syracuse, NY /             We have more important things to do...