hot-swappable hardware (was: [MacPerl] beginner perl questions pls)

Patrick Beart wrote:

>	Sun's OS is so robust that you can change RAM and (I'm told) the
>entire motherboard while the machine is running!  I'm not talking about
>peripherals, here. I mean the internal components.

It seems that Apple started some work in that direction, but the
project never came to completion. Their Tech Note 31 discussed some of
the API they were developing to inform the programmer that fundamental
hardware had changed.

--
Andrew Langmead