Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl sings a 'Camptown Races' in its native language, almost

I think it was a black ditty of the old South.   It may have been
written down and published by Stephan Foster.

Camptown ladies* sing this song, Do Da, Do Da
  Camptown race track's five miles long,
Oh, Do da Day.

Chorus:

Gwine (going to) ta run all night, Gwine run all day,
  I put my money on da bob-tailed nag,
Somebody, bet on the Bay.

Chorus

Horses run around da track, Do Da, Do Da
  It's five mile down & five mile back,
Oh, Do da Day.

Chorus

Went down dere with my pocket full o'tin, Do Da, Do Da
  Came back home wid ma hat caved in,
Oh, Do da Day.

Chorus

* ladies in these songs usually refer to ladies of pleasure or camp followers.

I think there are 5-6 other verses along these lines.

Unfortunately, these songs are considered racist and not PC... a whole
section of American history, right or wrong, is now being treated as if
it never happened.

I will try to go through some of my old folk music books & see if I can find
out more.

HTH

Dick