[MacPerl] Changing Mac \r to Unix \n

I wrote my first MacPerl script today. It will batch process hundreds of
text documents into html (...I hope...).

My question:

What is the best way to change the Mac \r to the Unix \n?

MacPerl: Power and Ease (HTML version) by Vicki Brown and Chris Nandor <
http://yggdrasil.com/~rdm/MP/220.Oddments.html#03 > says:

               \n and \r

                On Unix systems, the line-ending character (record
separator) is the line
                feed (ASCII \012). On Mac OS, it's the carriage return
(\015).

                [...snip...]

                This can cause some difficulties if you share files (or
scripts!) between Mac
                OS and Unix systems. You'll need to be sure to
translatethe newline char-
                acters to avoid problems.

                many file transfer programs such as Fetch will make the
proper transla-
                tions for you.

I'm not interested in openning each of the files in BBedit and re-saving,
I'm too lazy.

Should I be writing "\012" instead of "\n" in my script?

What about multi-line quotes (ie. print FH qq~ lines and lines of
blah...blah...blah ~; )?

Or should I just stop worrying and let Fetch take care of all this?