Re: Re(2): [MacPerl] beginner perl questions pls

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 08:27:59PM -0800, Mark Yannuzzi wrote:
}
} I just started using Perl, bought the MacPerl Book and recently the
} "Programming Perl" book, also.  I am only using Perl on my Mac, thus the
} distinction between Perl and MacPerl is not one that I make.  I joined
} the list since it was suggested by the authors of the MacPerl book.  I do
} not recall any prerequisites mentioned.  The suggestion that only MacPerl
} questions be posted appears to limit this list to those that are advanced
} Perl users, who use Perl on more than one platform, and are thus able to
} identify the distinctions between the ports (unless of course it is
} glaringly obvious, such as questions pertaining to interface elements).

In practice it has never been that way.  General Perl questions show
up here regularly.  *However*, they shouldn't be of the sort "I'm
trying to run this script on my Unix server and I can't get the child
to do what I want after a fork".  If a script can never possibly run
under MacPerl, no one should be asking about it here.

}
} I make every effort to first try and find the answer to my questions
} through the references that I have available, and through
} experimentation.

That's good, especially expermentation.  That helps to isolate the
problem.

} However, I do not always find the answers, and it does
} help to get input from others with more experience.

Then you'll do fine, but this is *not* always the forum where you
should be asking.  Don't let Vicki's attitude about comp.lang.perl.*
scare you.  There are no wolves there, but there *are* real Perl
experts there, including Larry Wall, Tom Christiansen, and Randall
Schwartz, whose names you should recognize from "Programming Perl".
If you have access to Usenet and you want to learn about Perl, you
should be reading the comp.lang.perl.* groups.  If you have a
question, you should have no qualms about asking there.  Even pure
MacPerl questions are occasionally dealt with there.  (As always with
Usenet, you should read for a few weeks just to get the feel of things
before even thinking about posting.)

} I also try to make
} an intelligent and informative title to my post so that those that do not
} wish to be bothered may skip/trash it right away.  This is my first
} experience with a mailing list, and has been a pleasant one so far,
} thanks to all who have taken the time to answer my questions, they have
} all taught me something.  If, by fiat, the moderators of this list
} determine that is exclusively for MacPerl questions only, I hope they
} will make this clear so that those of us not quite experienced enough can
} unsubscribe.
} --
} Mark Yannuzzi
} myannuzzi@aya.yale.edu