Re: [MacPerl] sending email through Perl

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998 20:54:43 -0800 (PST), Xah Lee wrote:

>Thanks Chris Nador for suggesting Mail::Send.
>
>Below my sig is a sample script using Mail::Send to send emails, but it's
>fairly complex in comparison of just calling "qx" and "mail" (on unix
systems).

If you want Unix, use it. Unix does make some things simpler. Here are two
places where you can find a Linux that will run on almost all PowerPC
Macs: <http://www.linuxppc.org>, <http://www.mklinux.apple.com>. You can
run Perl 5.005_0Z (threaded if you want) or even development Perl 5.005_53
(threaded after a simple bug fix) with no problems. And for the CGI crowd,
there's Apache and mod_perl. I even have my Apache at home running with
SSL (completely useless to me, but I wanted to try it.)

But if you want MacOS, you're going to have to deal with its limitations.

>How'd one use Mail::Send to send dozens of emails? It'd be a pain
>if it's necessary to create dozens of objects and filehandles.

Reuse them. Perl will take care of the memory management issues.

> Xah, xah@best.com
> http://www.best.com/~xah/PageTwo_dir/more.html
> Mountain View, CA, USA

-------