[MacPerl] MacPerl<=>Oracle

Greg Aiken wrote:

>I'm interested to know what a dump from an SqlPlus interactive session
>would look like.  Can you possibly send me something to look at?  Is this
>basically a socket connection to a server with a well defined protocol?
> What exactly, are you proposing to do?  DBI + DBD is the preferred Perl
>interface method to databases, to include Oracle.  From what I've heard
>these modules don't work with MacPerl, and a Mac porting of these modules
>is required.

Hallo,

A dump (just a short example) of an interactive session
with SqlPlus looks like :

SQL> SELECT REGNR,FOLLUPNR,STR1,STR2,STR3,STR4
  2  FROM RCAD.SKWT_TEST
  3  WHERE REGNR <= 2000;

     REGNR   FOLLUPNR       STR1       STR2       STR3       STR4
---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
       191          0         64         78       92.2
       191          1       56.1       74.8      136.2
       434          0       50.4       72.3        124
       868          0       43.3       47.7       98.2
       868          1       39.8       48.1       91.8
       949          0       43.7       59.2      115.6
      1597          0       41.9       58.2      126.8
      1759          0       40.6       46.9       78.1
      1910          0       44.3       53.8       71.4

9 rows selected.

I can SPOOL the results to a file, and then use that file
to open with some application to get the data needed.
As far as I know this is a socket connection to the server, the
connection is made via TCP/IP. I don't know the (MacPerl) status of
DBI and DBD. The MacPerl book states that these modules are
not (jet) available for the Mac.
What I want is a better interface to the Oracle database (better
that the commandline interface SqlPlus uses), for example
send the retrieved data to an application so that it pops up in
an applications window, all with the help of MacPerl.

TIA,

Nico Rozendaal,
University of Maastricht,
Dept. of Psychiatry & Neuropsychology,