Re: [MacPerl] Unlocking files

At 7:57 AM -0500 12/15/98, Chris Nandor wrote:

} At 01.47 -0500 1998.12.15, Richard Christensen wrote:
} >I have tried holding down the option key and this doesn't work for these
} >file.  The finder doesn't complain, it just doesn't delete them.
}
} I would run Disk First Aid, then rebuild the desktop, etc.  I cannot think
} of any situation when you should be unable to unlock a file.

I can.  For example, files made from LinuxPPC on an hfs partition
frequently show that they're locked once you're back in MacOS, and you
can't unlock them.  But at least you can trash them.  Obviously this is a
bug in the Linux hfs code, but it does show that you can convice MacOS that
a file can't be unlocked.

MacOS files can't be deleted from the trash if the OS thinks they're open,
right?  (I'm thinking about the situation after I do a Norton AntiVirus
update and the libraries it moves into the trash can't be blown away until
after a reboot.)

} To me, that
} sounds like something is broken.  I hope I am wrong.  Unless the fix is
} easy and painless, then I hope I am right.  :)

Yes, I agree.  Disk First Aid and rebuilding the desktop are the first
steps.  Try Disk Doctor and/or Tech Tool Pro if you have them, too.

}
} Good luck,
}
} --
} Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
} %PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])

-----
Paul J. Schinder
schinder@pobox.com