Re: [MacPerl] command line interface?

At 02.45 -0500 1998.12.16, Bart Lateur wrote:
>On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:20:09 -0500, Chris Nandor wrote:
>
>>I recommend, though, that everyone who can installs ToolServer, even if you
>>don't have MPW installed.  It is very valuable IMO.
>
>Why? And how?
>
>More elaborate: what is Toolserver for? How do we use it? What makes it
>so valuable? And if, by standard it's part of MPW, how can we install
>and use it without the rest of MPW?

ToolServer allows you to use MPW tools through MacPerl's open(), system(),
``, and qx//.  For instance:

  #!perl -wl
  for (`perl -v`) {
    chomp;
    print if /version/i;
  }

Returns:

  This is perl, version 5.004

And this means that anything available as an MPW tool can be used with
MacPerl, like perl, diff, patch, sort, etc. ad nauseum.

I believe it is available separately from MPW, but if not, you can install
it and throw away MPW.  Basically, you keep ToolServer and the Tools
folder, and maybe the Scripts folder.  Set up ToolServer kinda the same way
you set up MPW, putting the right library paths and environment variables
in a ToolServer startup file, etc.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])