Re: [MacPerl] arbitrary Toolbox calls

At 20.41 -0500 1998.12.17, Eric Albert wrote:
>I may well be mistaken, but I believe that Apple has done this with the
>Macintosh Runtime for Java through JDirect.  If that's the case, then it
>would imply that either a) they ported every call, or b) it's possible in
>Perl.

Interesting.  I don't suppose Apple's released the source for this.

>Of course, only the insane would note that it mightbe possible to use Larry
>Wall's Java<->Perl interface to make JDirect calls to the Toolbox through
>MacPerl (assuming that said interface works on the Mac...I haven't tried
>it). :)

Well, there is another way: use MRJ's scripting interface.  I was told the
new MRJ EA3 can do almost anything through AppleScript.  So:

  MacPerl -> Apple Events -> MRJ -> arbitrary toolbox calls

Sure, why not?  (No, Rich, I won't have it working tonight, and probably
not any time too soon, I have enough to do right now.  :)

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])