Re: [MacPerl] arbitrary Toolbox calls

At 01:09 PM 12/17/98 -0800, Rich Morin wrote:
>From: Geoffrey C Kinnel <kinnelg@bms.com>
>>Unless there's a way to get MacPerl to call an arbitrary Toolbox call,
>>you'd have to use a C routine via XS, I imagine.
>
>This is a really provocative question.  If we could make arbitrary Toolbox
>calls, even at a high performance penalty, it might open up a great deal
>of experimentation.
>
>So, MacPerlies, is there a way to do this?  For instance, is it possible
>to create appropriate data structures and then force a call to Mac OS?  I
>realize that making this all work smoothly might be tricky, but Matthias
>has other things to do than port the remain several thousand calls, so it
>might be worth a look...

I may well be mistaken, but I believe that Apple has done this with the
Macintosh Runtime for Java through JDirect.  If that's the case, then it
would imply that either a) they ported every call, or b) it's possible in
Perl.

Of course, only the insane would note that it mightbe possible to use Larry
Wall's Java<->Perl interface to make JDirect calls to the Toolbox through
MacPerl (assuming that said interface works on the Mac...I haven't tried
it). :)

-Eric