Re: [MacPerl] Passing Text to a Browser

Note that if you configure TCP to use AppleTalk, your AppleTalk interface
needs to be active.  With only one machine, this can be a problem if your
serial ports are occupied with a modem and with a serial printer.  In this
case, AppleTalk will usually need to be configured with the "Remote Only"
option (or IRTalk or the like).

>If anyone has comments, please let me know. Like, why is 128.0.0.1 the
>preferred number?

As noted by others, 127.0.0.1 is the address reserved for a machine's
loopback interface.  As such, you should be able to use it regardless
of what you've assigned your IP address to (provided that your TCP
settings are functional).  I've tested it just now with OT 2.0.2, but I
would imagine it works as far back as MacTCP.

Since I have multiple machines, I prefer to set up an independent LAN
and add a software router for outside connectivity when I need it.

Granted, you could chose just about any IP number you like and get away
with it and the Internet police aren't going to come arrest you.

There are, however, three blocks of IP numbers that have been set
aside for just this purpose - constructing private internets.  Because
these blocks are restricted, you know that there won't be a conflict
on the public Internet.

The three blocks are:

The 24-bit block:     10.0.0.0 -  10.255.255.255   1 class "A" network.
The 20-bit block:   172.16.0.0 -  172.31.255.255  16 class "B" networks.
The 16-bit block:  192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 256 class "C" networks.

(See RFC 1918, "Address Allocation for Private Internets" for more info,
if you're interested.)  <http://www.alternic.net/rfcs/1900/rfc1918txt.html>

For practical purposes, it's good to pick one of the class "C" addresses
in the 16-bit block and assign IP numbers out of that network.  Most
frequently, people use the 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254 network and a
netmask of 255.255.255.0 (no subnetting).

Even with one machine, it's a good idea to get into the habit of using
the address space reserved for the purpose.

-Charles
 <albrecht@gate.net>
 <http://www.gate.net/~albrecht/cv/>