Re: [MacPerl] Parsing astronomical data in Perl

>FWIW, I would replace this whole thing with a data structure and subroutine
>like so:
>
>%data = (
>    ident       => [1,8],

[snip]

Thanks!  I knew there might be a more succinct way of doing this.  So far
I haven't actually written the routines that process the data, so
changing this doesn't hurt anything at this point.  Aisde from the fact
that I'm being absurdly meticulous about commenting my code, your example
is pretty much exactly how I'm now doing things.

One question:  Perviously I was doing an unshift() to prepend a 0th
element for each record.  Is this now unnecessary?  I don't want to drop
the first letter of the first field. (I realize this question sounds
rather clueless, but programming of all stripes is more of a sideline for
me.  I occasionally still sound like a cluelessnewbie).

--Brian

# Fungal Parataxonomy                   Mycology Information (Mycoinfo)
# Webmaster, Staff Writer      **The World's First Mycology E-Journal**
# <mailto:webmaster@mycoinfo.com>            <http://www.mycoinfo.com/>
# "A couple of guys trying to do something great..."