[MacPerl] QuickDraw and PICT Resources

  My apologies aforehand of any negligence of formalities, backwards
logic, or misspelt words.  And merry Christmas everybody, if applicable.

  Alright, I've been studiously gaining some experience with MacPerl 4th
and 6th periods everyday, relying on fellow Chris's book for a great deal
of the groundwork.  However, I'd like to expand my familiarity with the
toolbox -- namely, QuickDraw -- and concurrently do well on my project
for English class.

  Well, I have intentions of trying to lead Dante through Hell, using the
arrow keys as input.  However!  I'd like to have a background as well.
As one can infer, every time Dante moves, he leaves images of his
previous position behind.  To negate this in the past, I've simply
re-DrawPictured the background.  This is extremely slow.  I've searched
and searched for a command similar to XDRAW on the ol' BASIC for the
Apple II*.  To no avail.  Not only that, but the PICT resource of Dante
has to either be a color icon (PlotCIcon) or contain the background in
that resource of Dante (which will require as many Dantes as backgrounds).

  So, I'm crossing my fingers that perhaps one of you might be able to
inform me of any such command, or direct to a source on how to work
around my problem.  I've scoured the Inside Macintosh QuickDraw PDF...
I'm at a loss.  But, I'm guessing that any solution I find will be
extremely convoluted...  I'll still ask though!  Thanks, any and all.

  - Chris J - ever so humble and cold
    www.netins.net/showcase/gog/agff/