Re: [MacPerl] libwww-perl-5.41 now available

On Mon, Dec 21, 1998 at 04:59:54PM -0800, Vicki Brown wrote:
} > } And will it be going up on CPAN soon?
} >
} > Not a chance.
}
} Given that CPAN is the -comprehensive_ Perl Archive Network, and your
} account on pobox is just that, might the list be enlightened as to Why Not?

(My account on pobox is just what???  pobox is a commercial mail/http
redirection service.)

Here are the reasons:

1) I just submitted a patch to libwww-perl-5 to bring it full MacPerl
support.  If Gisle accepts it, then it will be in CPAN, but in the
standard distribution, where it belongs.

2) I don't have a PAUSE id, and, although the process now takes little
time, I'd still have to get one.

3) Modules for MacPerl users should be distributed in a Mac format.  I
use .sit.hqx, so that the whole thing can just be unpacked into a
folder and used.  The two acceptable formats on PAUSE are gzip and
zip, neither of which is that much of a problem for the experienced,
but it adds an extra step and can confuse newbies.  (.sit isn't
acceptable, as I understand it, because it's proprietary and can't be
read under Unix). Chris simply packs the .sit.hqx right into his tar
archive, which is a nice solution, but that would mean I'd have to
repackage it after the .sit.hqx is built.  If Gisle doesn't want to
support MacPerl, I'll consider getting a PAUSE id and doing this.

4) My ISP has good connectivity and doesn't have much downtime.  So
the stuff is easily available.  There's no real advantage.

} ---
} Vicki Brown <vlb@cfcl.com>           |\      _,,,---,,_
} Journeyman Sourceror           ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_
} Scripts & Philtres                  |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
} P.O. Box 1269, San Bruno CA 94066  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)
} http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb      http://www.ptf.com/macperl

Paul Schinder
schinder@pobox.com