Re: [MacPerl] macCPAN

At 08.34 -0500 1998.12.23, Paul J. Schinder wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Dec 1998 06:57:20 -0400 (AST), Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>>
>>In terms of handling the Makefile.mk, well, Matthias did the work to
>>convert dmake to an MPW tool. I suspect that we may also be looking at
>>doing some coding to convert dmake to a scriptable app. Then, maybe
>>Mac::Glue... ?
>
>That would be pointless, IMHO. The basic purpose of make is to build
>software using a compiler. (Of course it can do mora but that's because it
>knows how to hand off to a shell.) Without a compiler, why fool with
>make?
>
>For a non-XS module what we need is I) get the archive from CPAN, 2)
>unpack the archive, making sure of end-of-line, 3) build blib, 4) copy
>into place, site_ perl by default but user overridable. All that can be
>done by MacPerl itself. In addition, we'd like a tool that can search CPAN
>like CPAN. pm can, understands enough about Makefile.PL to do things like
>check Perl version and check module requirements, and run the tests, if
>any. But the get/unpack/put in proper place capability is fundamental, and
>the pieces already exist to do that entirely in Perl.

Yes, the toughest part will be building blib.  After that, it is all easy
(in that we already have all the pieces).  We have some buildrules stuff
from Matthias to build blib, but I need to take a closer look at it all;
even if I can get it working without MPW and everything else, I fear it
might have a high degree of failure, as ExtUtils::MM_MacOS does not parse
complex Makfile.PL files well.  However, this might not be so bad, because
usually complex Makefile.PL files are used only with XS stuff.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])