Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl File Size Limits?

On 12/24/98 at 21:45, ajf@afco.demon.co.uk (Alan Fry) wrote:

> I've just tried McPerl printing out via BBEdit with a 1MB file and it
works
> fine. You need the Brad Hanson MacPerl Extensions and BBEdit 4.5+ (I tried
> it with 5.0). Set the STDOUT and STDERR to "New File" in the BBEdit
> Extension Preferences panel, and away you go.
>
> Apart from memory considerations, there is no printing limitation I think.
> For the 1MB file I had to increase BBEdits partition from the default
> 1.6MB. I put it up to 3.2MB.
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks to you and the others who responded. After originally posting my
message, I tried working with the files in Perl under mkLinux and found that
the same thing happened within terminal windows in my x.11 environment
(albeit a lot faster:>). I concluded that this boiled down to buffer
overflow as you suggested.

I already have and frequently use BBEdit 5 to work in MacPerl but, slacker
that I am, I was unaware that preferences could be set for Hanson's
extensions until you raised the issue. I've figured that out and expect that
this problem will be overcome and that BBEdit will also be more useful to me
now. Thanks a lot.

Richard Gordon
Gordon Consulting & Design
Voice: 770-565-8267  Fax: 770-971-6887