Re: [MacPerl] How files are read in (was: for loops)

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 09:01:31 +0000, G. Ann Campbell wrote:

>  open(TXT, "$ObitFile:class.txt") || die "Can\'t open text file for reading\n";
>     $txt = <TXT>;
>     close (TXT);

>It put the entire contents of the file into the first element of the list. I
>know now how to get around it, but I don't understand why.

This can olnly happen if either $/ was undef, or not found in your file.
The default value is "\n" ( chr(13) on MacPerl); either your file is not
a Mac (Unix?) text file, or you must have accidently changed $/ .

Even PC text files should work.

p.s. please do not include any VCARD garbage in your posts. I hate that.
Nobody looks at them anyway, and they all get saved on my hard disk.
Yuck.

   HTH,
   Bart.