Re: [MacPerl] Accessing FileMaker Pro data

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Richard Gordon wrote:

> I guess one sticking point that I have is that I am having some trouble
> seeing why this is actually worthwhile beyond sounding like a pretty
> interesting exercise? The best reason that I can think of is that it's
> probably faster than just relying on AppleScript, but maybe I'm overlooking
> something else? Anyway, if you get something to work in MacPerl, I'd like to
> see it.

In general, Perl and databases go together like (insert your favorite pair
here).  Think serving up database pieces from a web site.  Think of a
website which _is_ your database front end, across the world.

Think of tying your database to sources of information on web pages across
the Internet, and updating the information continuously rather than at
painful intervals.

Think of getting access to tools that already do these things for you, but
written for other databases.  Through the magic of the DBI interface, you
could re-use them with little effort.

Think of an easy tool to recognize and pull useful information from a
jumbled up text file, like the access log for a web server or the output
from some other program (an installer, say).

And I don't even know much about MacPerl!  Others could supply better
examples.

What database wouldn't benefit from perl?  Maybe your phone number file.

--
MattLangford