Re: [MacPerl] Accessing FileMaker Pro data

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Richard Gordon wrote:

> I guess one sticking point that I have is that I am having some trouble
> seeing why this is actually worthwhile beyond sounding like a pretty
> interesting exercise? The best reason that I can think of is that it's
> probably faster than just relying on AppleScript, but maybe I'm overlooking
> something else? Anyway, if you get something to work in MacPerl, I'd like to
> see it.

I can't speak for Chris, but he does explain the motivation behind
Mac::Glue in the accompanying HTML. It's quite basic: he likes Perl and
doesn't like AppleScript.

It's mostly a syntax argument. I've used AppleScript just a bit, and I
have to agree with him. AppleScript (at least the English dialect, which
is the only one I've looked at) is pretty terrible for intuitively
expressing what I want to do. It's on a par with CorelScript when it comes
right down to it, as far as I'm concerned. AppleScript is verbose,
excessively so. Also, in Perl there are usually umpteen ways of doing
something - note the word "doing" - it strikes me that in AppleScript
there are umpteen different ways of *writing* something.

So it's mostly about harnessing AppleEvents, cutting AppleScript out of
the loop, and letting Perl take over. All personal preference, really.