[MacPerl] XS

The question of building extensions has been kicked around on this list a
bit, but I still don't get it.

I wanted to try Cris Nandor's DBI port, but to do so I would have to write
some DBD modules.  I had two in mind: MySQL and Butler.  MySQL can be
accessed via TCP, so the idea there would be that if you have MySQL running
on a Unix machine, you could create a Mac client for accessing it;
potentially very useful.  For Butler, the database could reside on the same
Mac.  I have written C code to access Butler, and I have the source for the
Unix DBD for MySQL, so I thought that one or both of these should be
possible.

All of the above is moot, however, because before starting, I tried to
create the example extension XPlusX from MPPE, and there I sit.  I created
the XPlusX.xs, XPlusX.pm, and Makefile.PL as per MPPE, and then try the MPW
mantra therein:

perl Makefile.PL
BuildProgram all
BuildProgram install

Step 1 works, creating Makefile.mk
Step 2 gives the following error message:
### BuildProgram - No makefile exists for all.

True Confessions: I don't have the Codewarrior 11 CD (I have Codewarrier
Release 4, Release 3 somewhere, maybe Release 2 or maybe not, and that's
it.)  Thus, I haven't copied any old libraries and thus haven't even tried
to build MacPerl.  My hope was that perhaps the old libraries would not be
necessary for a simple, little extension.

I'm not sure I really expected this to work (yet), but I was hoping that
the errors would be informative.

Is this hopeless?  Is MacPerl not ready to have folks like me build extensions?

-David-

David Steffen, Ph.D.
President, Biomedical Computing, Inc. <http://www.biomedcomp.com/>
Phone: (713) 610-9770 FAX: (713) 610-9769 E-mail: steffen@biomedcomp.com