Re: [MacPerl] XS

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, David Steffen wrote:

> The question of building extensions has been kicked around on this list a
> bit, but I still don't get it.
[ Snip ]

> All of the above is moot, however, because before starting, I tried to
> create the example extension XPlusX from MPPE, and there I sit.  I created
> the XPlusX.xs, XPlusX.pm, and Makefile.PL as per MPPE, and then try the MPW
> mantra therein:
>
> perl Makefile.PL
> BuildProgram all
> BuildProgram install
>
> Step 1 works, creating Makefile.mk
> Step 2 gives the following error message:
> ### BuildProgram - No makefile exists for all.
>
> True Confessions: I don't have the Codewarrior 11 CD (I have Codewarrier
> Release 4, Release 3 somewhere, maybe Release 2 or maybe not, and that's
> it.)  Thus, I haven't copied any old libraries and thus haven't even tried
> to build MacPerl.  My hope was that perhaps the old libraries would not be
> necessary for a simple, little extension.
>
> I'm not sure I really expected this to work (yet), but I was hoping that
> the errors would be informative.
>
> Is this hopeless?  Is MacPerl not ready to have folks like me build extensions?

This is an ongoing issue which we are trying to get a solution to.

For what it's worth, I don't have the old libs either, and I've been
building MacPerl XS successfully for some time. The Makefile.mk file which
is produced by 'perl Makefile.PL' is designed to contain the
module-specific stuff, and you've probably noticed that most of the meat
is actually in 3 include files (found in the makefile at the dmake
.INCLUDE directives), BuildRules.mk, ExtBuildRules.mk and
BulkBuildRules.mk.

These files (off the top of my head mostly one, really) need to be
jiggered a bit.

If you have CW Pro, *and* no access to the old libs, well, you're out of
luck when it comes to building MacPerl. But there's no reason you can't
build XS. You don't need all of the MP includes, although SFIO and GUSI
should be kept, and as far as the libraries go, try some trial and error.
Keep PerlStub, keep InterfaceLib and MathLib, throw in the MSL PPC C lib,
and after that experiment to get the others for your platform.

Look at your linker messages, and then use the invaluable Search Libraries
feature in CW to find the libraries you need.

I'm being somewhat vague at this point because this issue has been brought
to Chris and Matthias' attention (by me :-)), and I'm not a MacOS guy, so
while I have invariably found a set of libraries that works, it may not be
optimal (read: I may have overkill), and so I'd rather have Matthias
recommend a set.

I'm throwing this out there just so you know it's not a lost cause. I
figure I've built probably 25 XS modules (not counting ones of my own) off
CPAN in the last 6 months for MacPerl, just using what you get with CW
Pro2/3, so it's doable.

Arved