Re: [MacPerl] Perl Shared Library (was Re: [MacPerl] ports and builds)

At 11:21 -0800 1/24/99, Brian "L." Matthews wrote:
> For example, the Unix machine I'm using at my ISP, which has thousands of
> users over the course of a week (although I suspect only a small number doing
> any kind of software development), was last rebooted 10 days ago, and that
> was because that's when they do monthly maintenance. Before that it hadn't
> been rebooted for around 30 days, and that reboot was again because of
> monthly maintenance. Another unix machine I work on hasn't been rebooted for
> 76 days, and that machine hosts only developers, as well as a fairly active
> web server.

We got our main (Unix) server up to 160+ days, and it was doing fine
until the power outage which exceeded our UPS capacity (the local
power grid is noted for that sort of thing).  The next downtime was
about 45 days later (also a power outage:  the lovely gouge eaten in
the sidewalk (through about 6 inches of concrete) a few blocks away
by the downed 12000 volt line is still very impressive).

Given faulty hardware, however, Unix can die just like anything
else...a SCSI controller was doing that to us regularly for a while
on another Unix server <complete lockup of the machine, requiring
full power down of both the main box and the Raid chassis>.  With
some hardware changes, that hasn't happened again, although the
monitor running on another machine has been crying "wolf" every few
days around 0140, including this morning.

   --John
--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach him to fish,