Re: [MacPerl] Perl Shared Library (was Re: [MacPerl] ports and builds)

At 8:47 PM -0800 1/24/99, John W Baxter wrote:

} Given faulty hardware, however, Unix can die just like anything
} else...a SCSI controller was doing that to us regularly for a while
} on another Unix server <complete lockup of the machine, requiring
} full power down of both the main box and the Raid chassis>.  With
} some hardware changes, that hasn't happened again, although the
} monitor running on another machine has been crying "wolf" every few
} days around 0140, including this morning.

I knew a guy who had a tape that crashed a VAX 11/780 running BSD 4.1 every
time he attempted to read it (he didn't get to try a third time).  I've
occasionally (~ 1 per year) had random programs (with bugs in them, of
course) reliably crash SunOS when started.  The Sun workstation on my desk
crashes every 30 days or so with an intermittent parity error in one of the
SIMMs.  A few weeks ago when I was running Linux init died, which I first
noticed when I logged out and didn't get a login prompt.  Fortunately Linux
has 6 virtual consoles, and I rebooted before I ran out of them.  That was
something I don't remember seeing on Unix before.

But the fundamental diffence between Unix and MacOS is when data corruption
occurs on the disk or the machine starts crashing regularly, you first
suspect the hardware, not the operating system.

}
}    --John
} --
} John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA
} Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach him to fish,
} and you get rid of him for the weekend.

-----
Paul J. Schinder
schinder@pobox.com