Re: [MacPerl] Perl Shared Library (was Re: [MacPerl] ports and builds)

On 1/23/99 at 09:26, pudge@pobox.com (Chris Nandor) wrote:

> Oh, I forgot to add: I am going to be hacking perl source this weekend.  I
> could do it on my Mac, or on my Mac with MkLinux.  I decided if I want to
> actually accomplish something instead of rebooting a half dozen times, I
> should do it in MkLinux.  I welcome the advance of Mac OS X so I can do it
> in Mac OS.  But right now, for my sanity, I cannot.

I'm not going to get into the middle of this except to note that while I
find MacOS slick-cool, I find MkLinux spooky-cool and obviously a lot more
powerful. Anyway, I did have some questions that relate to MkLinux (and unix
in general) vs. MacOS in terms of desirability as development platforms.

First, have you found that when working in Perl, crashes are actually any
more frequent under MacOS?

Second, my app crash recovery procedure under MacOS is generally to reboot
even if a force quit works because things tend to be unstable otherwise.
Under MkLinux (or unix in general), can you really count on stability
without a reboot just by killing the errant process(es)? I've broken MkLinux
lots of times and usually reboot to be on the safe side, but wonder whether
that's a waste of time or not?

If you take it for granted that any kind of development tends to result in
lots of spectacular crashes and if a reboot after each crash is desirable
even under unix, then it seems to me that it doesn't make much difference
which platform you use unless MacOS is prone to actually crash the same app
more frequently. Of course, that ignores the relatively long time that it
takes MacOS to boot up, but I guess you see my point.

Richard Gordon
Gordon Consulting & Design
Voice: 770-565-8267  Fax: 770-971-6887