Re: [MacPerl] Perl Shared Library (was Re: [MacPerl] ports and builds)

On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 09:16:54AM -0600, David Steffen wrote:
}
} Is OS 8.X likely to be a supported, active, developing environment once OS
} X is released?

At least as much as 7.6.1 is now.  MacOS X will only run on G3's, so
there are a lot of Macs that can't run it.  (For example, my Powerbook
165 can't run MacOS 8.x, but it still works.)  Some of the software
upgrades coming out of Apple will work under 7.6.1, so Apple must
still pay some attention to legacy machines/OS's.  I also remember
reading that there will be an 8.7 after MacOS X comes out, but maybe
those plans have changed.

}
} >Also, there are some interesting ways
} >in which MacPerl technology might slip into a Mac OS X version of Perl.
} >For instance, regular Perl knows nothing about the Toolbox...
}
} How relevant will the Toolbox be under OS X?

That was the whole point of the shift away from Rhapsody, as I recall.
Developers didn't want to switch to a completely new API, so the
promise is that "Carbon" will allow them to continue using the old API
(more or less), while being encouraged to write new stuff for the
Yellow Box.  And remember, MacOS X doesn't come out until late this
year, and there's the legacy machine problem...

} David Steffen, Ph.D.
} President, Biomedical Computing, Inc. <http://www.biomedcomp.com/>
} Phone: (713) 610-9770 FAX: (713) 610-9769 E-mail: steffen@biomedcomp.com

Paul Schinder