Re: [MacPerl] looking at Mac OS X: TeX/LaTeX

At 14:14 -0500 1999-01-28, Geoffrey C Kinnel wrote:
>Paul J. Schinder wrote:
>>
>> The only MacOS equivalent is TeXtures, which costs plenty.
>
>Context: a Mac version of TeX or LaTeX.
>
>Have you looked at OzTeX? $30 shareware. It's pretty full implementation
>of TeX and includes the LaTeX macros, and some others.
>
><http://www.kagi.com/authors/akt/oztex.html#shareware>
>
>Geoff

Since lives are being changed here I'll have to give advice too:  check out
DirectTeX.  You can find it and all other Mac TeX/LaTeX software at
<http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/>

except the TeX Shop for MPW which is at:
<http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~neeri/macintosh.html>

DirectTeX is shell-based, with built-in shell commands
AddItem          Delete           GetListItem      SearchPath
AddMenu          DeleteItem       Help             Select
Alert            DeleteMenu       History          SelectApp
Archive          Dir              If               SelectLine
Beep             Directory        Kill             SelectWindow
Catenate         DownLoad         MacDVI           Set
ChangeItem       Echo             MenuCommand      SetKey
ClearScreen      Edit             Move             Shift
ClipToRez        Execute          Open             Status
CloseApp         Exit             OpenApp          TextTrans
CloseWindow      Files            Print            Which
Compress         FontMgr          ProjectMgr       Windows
Confirm          For              RShell
Count            GetFileName      Request
CreateAlias      GetItem          Save

DirectTeX includes the following tools (all accessible from the command
line, some from the menus, and all scriptable in the DirectTeX shell
scripting language):
AddDirectory
afm2tfm
BeginSession
BibTeX
BigMF
BigTeX
CTangle
CWeave
Debug
DirectoryMenu
DVICopy
dvips
DVIType
egrep
GFToDVI
GFToPK
GFType
grep
MakeIndex
MF
MFT
MFToPK
MTangle
MWeave
PatGen
PKToGF
PKType
PLToTF
ProjectMenu
Quit*DirectTeX
Startup*DirectTeX
Tangle
TeX
TFToPL
ToolServer
VFToVP
VPToVF
Weave

There is a built-in simple editor for small files and support for using an
external editor -- I use MPW; DirectTeX includes an MPW startup script
which adds a TeX menu:
   Use Front Window
   ---
   Typeset Main TeX File
   Create Bibliography
   Create Index
   Copy DVI File
   Preview DVI File
   Print DVI File
   Edit Main TeX File
   Edit Current TeX File
   Delete Temporary Files
   Display TeX Logfile
   ---
   Convert ClipboardÉ

BTW, DirectTeX is $100 and was not easy to pay for (the author is in Berlin
and wanted a money order, not charge card -- maybe that has changed).  The
quality of work is good.

I haven't the darndest idea what this has to do with MacPerl.  Oh, yes, you
can also use MacPerl from MPW -- that's it!  <phwhew!>

You could even write and typeset a PhD Thesis  while programming Perl, all
from within MPW under MacOS X.  (Right, Matthias?)

--
   Garry Roseman  <mailto:memphis@macconnect.com>
   Tech Writer & Freelance Programmer