Re: [MacPerl] Distributables?

>The basic philosophy is that you don't write a program to make money, you
>program to make money.  So you write programs for people who need programs,
>and they pay you to write them.  i.e., sell your programming talent, not
>your programs.
>
>Honestly, it is rare that I see programs that are worth buying these days,
>but it is often I see programming needs.  But to each his own.  Thomas
>Boutell sells Perl programs.  They come with protection that requires a
>key, and they are easy to "crack".  I imagine he makes money off them
>anyway.

I understand this philosphy in some situations. You solve a specific
problem for a specific customer and get paid for it.  However, in a
situation such as mine (see the request I made for a "perl jock") perl is
likely to be the best tool for a particular very important part of a
solution that involves  the integration of several different programs. My
solution (if successful) would be applicable to a large number of
individuals who never could afford/envision a custom solution to their
particular  business. I hope there is a way perl can be used in my
project but the need keep the source code protected will certainly be a
consideration.

Regards,

Eric Mings Ph.D.