Re: [MacPerl] looking at Mac OS X

>From: Chris Nandor <pudge@pobox.com>

>>2. Apple would not only have to hide MacOS X's "Unix-ness" from ordinary
>>users, they would also have to disable key APIs, otherwise, writing the
>>equivalent of Terminal.app would be fairly trivial.
>
> I don't understand.  Why would they want to prevent someone from writing
> the equivalent of Terminal.app?  The _only_ reason to prevent access to
> Unix stuff in Mac OS X is for usability of regular users, as far as I can
> tell.  Anyone who could write an equivalent to Terminal.app is sufficiently
> clued that no one has to worry about them.

Actually, I think you did mis-read me. It was Jeff Clites who suggested that
Apple would try to hide MacOS X's "Unix-ness." I was making point number 2
above to show how Apple would have to go out of it's way to prevent Unix
apps from being ported to MacOS X.

Like you, I think that Apple will hide the Unix core from casual users, but
leave it accessible either:
a) to power users through configuration control panels or...
b) at the very least, by exposing the necessary APIs to developers, who
could then fairly easily port the existing suite of Unix utilities to MacOs
X.

Raf