Re: [MacPerl] looking at Mac OS X

At 14.56 -0500 1999.01.27, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:
>1. If you want this sort of Unix functionality right out of the box, run
>MacOS X server, which will be available sooner as well (in fact, given
>Apple's track record, MacOS X server may be the only MacOS X we ever see -
>unless we just get a consumer release which is *named* "MacOS X" but doesn't
>have the features promised, and is just a rev of MacOS 8.5.

I don't think such a belief is warranted by the facts.  Looking at Apple's
track record under Steve Jobs, one would assume that Mac OS X will be
available as advertised in 1999.

>2. Apple would not only have to hide MacOS X's "Unix-ness" from ordinary
>users, they would also have to disable key APIs, otherwise, writing the
>equivalent of Terminal.app would be fairly trivial.

I don't understand.  Why would they want to prevent someone from writing
the equivalent of Terminal.app?  The _only_ reason to prevent access to
Unix stuff in Mac OS X is for usability of regular users, as far as I can
tell.  Anyone who could write an equivalent to Terminal.app is sufficiently
clued that no one has to worry about them.

You seem to be saying that Apple would want to hide this stuff for some
other reason, maybe to make it so people who want Unix stuff would have to
buy Mac OS X Server.  I don't see any facts that make such a belief
warranted, though perhaps I misread you.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])