Re: [MacPerl] looking at Mac OS X

>From: online@mactech.com (Jeff at MacTech)

>>> I'm not sure how they are
>>> going to pull this off, other than not bundling the Terminal
>>> (command-line) app.
>>
>>But they *are* bundling Terminal with MacOS X Server (see the add for
>>MacOS X Sever at www.apple.com)

Two points:

1. If you want this sort of Unix functionality right out of the box, run
MacOS X server, which will be available sooner as well (in fact, given
Apple's track record, MacOS X server may be the only MacOS X we ever see -
unless we just get a consumer release which is *named* "MacOS X" but doesn't
have the features promised, and is just a rev of MacOS 8.5. In the same way,
we got a "MacOS 8" that had the name, but none of the promised features -
remember, MacOS 8 was originally Copland, and was promised to include memory
protection and PMT, nether of which was delivered).

2. Apple would not only have to hide MacOS X's "Unix-ness" from ordinary
users, they would also have to disable key APIs, otherwise, writing the
equivalent of Terminal.app would be fairly trivial. I believe this comes
under the heading of the larger tug of war that is going on between
developers and Apple as to what APIs precisely are included in Carbon.

raf