Re: [MacPerl] looking at Mac OS X

>From: Richard Gordon <gordon@mindspring.com>

> but I still view 8.5.x as an expression of Copland if not the real thing.

Then you are wearing rose-colored spectacles, my friend, because Copland was
supposed to have memory protection, and here we are, at not just OS 8, but
8.5, and we still don't have it.

8.5.x is Copland only in the most superficial cosmetic sense. The real
promise of Copland was that of a *stable* OS, with a Mac look and feel. What
we have in 8.5 is the same old crash-twice-a-day OS (if you do more than
word processing in ClarisWorks) that we had in 7.x, but with a few more
bells and whistles.

Frankly, I'm very tired of having to re-boot (even with MacsBug installed)
at least once a day if I do any sort of development work. If OS X either
slips badly, or fails to deliver memory protection and PMT, I'll be looking
elsewhere for an OS (e.g., LinuxPPC with SheepShaver).

raf