[MacPerl] Testing for Icon files

I have a script that examines every file in a directory.
I get the following error when my script encounters (tries
to open) an invisible icon file:

# Can't open file MacHD:DevApps:MacPerl:cpan-mac-0.21:blib:lib:Convert:Icon

I've tried doing the following tests on all the files
in the directory, and the Icon file still falls through
the filter:

Do I need to check the OS of the host perl system running
my script and do a Mac specific file check if the script
is running on a Mac?  What Mac specific call would I use?

TIA for any help you can afford me,

Ero Brown <ero@fiber.net>