Re: [MacPerl] CPAN-shell.plx

At 8:52 AM -0500 1/28/99, Chris Nandor wrote:

} At 08.44 -0500 1999.01.28, the hafler trio wrote:
} >this the default behaviour and setting of Chris Nandor's script as I ran it
} >after downloading it. it gives me an error I cannot fathom. I thought that
} >such an error should be reported, and that possibly someone might be able
} >to enlighten me as to its cause. I stand corrected.
}
} What Paul is saying is that your error might be related to not being able
} to connect.  So keep retrying.  This problem is not unique to MacPerl, but
} to all platforms using CPAN.pm.  And if you are behind a firewall, you will
} have even more grief.  If the error message seems to come up while trying
} to fetch something, and you don't seem to be able to fetch it, then just
} keep trying a little while, that's all.

It might be not being able to connect at that moment.  As Chris says, it
might be a firewall, which can cause all sorts of problems up to and
including not being able to use CPAN.pm at all.  It might be something
strange going on at one specific CPAN site.  A few weeks ago the disk
filled at the CPAN site in Finland, which caused some problems.  There was
no mention of whether MIRRORED.BY existed locally or was transferred
intact.  Tracking down a problem to a specific file in MacPerl's lib
(interesting function that, using a $template to unpack itself) is of
little use until the more likely causes of failure are ruled out.

CPAN.pm is a large and complex script accessing a large and complex
worldwide Internet resource.  The code is very robust; the Internet and
individual CPAN sites aren't quite that robust.  You will on occasion see
problems.  That's why you should give CPAN at least two sites to try when
you set it up, you may want to go out of region if your local sites aren't
reliable, and failure shouldn't cause an immediate panic.

}
} --
} Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
} %PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])

-----
Paul J. Schinder
schinder@pobox.com