Re: [MacPerl] looking at Mac OS X

<x-flowed>At 8:36 -0500 1/28/99, Chris Nandor wrote:
> I have come to think frequent crashes in recent Mac OS versions are the
> pretty much the exclusive domain of 1. developers and 2. people who don't
> keep their machines clean and maintained well.

I find it remarkably helpful to restart the beast "voluntarily" every
now and then.

My usual routine when walking away from the machine (eg, to go to
lunch) at a time the machine isn't doing anything is to begin a
Restart as I walk away.

I noted a couple of days ago that I was several days late to
restart...and decided to press on.  Late this afternoon, things
started behaving oddly...I looked at About this Computer, and noted
that the System had grown to 56 meg (without Internet Explorer
running).  I quit open apps one at a time...the About this Computer
window vanished when Style quit and the machine froze (no obvious
file system damage upon restart:  THAT aspect has improved A LOT
since 7.5.5).

So, it's back to 48 hours at the outside for me between voluntary restarts.

(The other machine gets restarted as I switch between MacOS and Linux.)

MacPerl runs now and then (talk about a weak "on-topic" ploy!)

   --John
--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach him to fish,