Re: [MacPerl] Net::FTP and Mac binaries

On Fri, Apr 23, 1999 at 03:16:06PM +0100, Peter Westlake wrote:
} At 08:10 1999-04-23 -0400, Paul J. Schinder wrote:
} >On Fri, Apr 23, 1999 at 12:23:05PM +0100, Peter Westlake wrote:
} >} I'm using Net::FTP to copy files to and from a Macintosh. Can Net::FTP
} >} cope with MacBinary mode? If not (and it doesn't look as though it can,
} >} from looking at the code), are there any MacPerl extensions that would
} >} help me?
} >
} >Mac::Conversions. CPAN/authors/id/S/SC/SCHINDER/Mac-Conversions-1.00.tar.gz.
} >As the name implies, it only works under MacPerl.
} >
} >If you're then sending to an FTP server on another MacOS machine, you
} >can use $ftp->quot to turn MacBinary mode on.  For example, when
} >sending MacBinary from my Unix machines at work to my Mac at home when
} >it's running MacOS, the script that does the work does the following
} >just before sending a MacBinary to NetPresenz:
} >
} >            $ftp->binary;
} >            $ftp->quot("MACB E");
}
} Sounds good, thanks! Now, my CPAN-shell has suddenly stopped working.
} All I get when I launch it is a message:
}
}    # Please set a HOME environment variable in your preferences.
}
} But when I go to Preferences on the Edit menu, there's the HOME
} variable, just as it has always been. What could be going on?

I don't know.  Chris' CPAN.plx script checks for $ENV{HOME} and
squawks if it isn't there.  I don't know why it can't see it, but I've
seen the same thing before and I always have an $ENV{HOME}.

I generally start CPAN up as a 1 liner,  command-1 and then
"perl -MCPAN -e shell".  That always works.

}
} Peter.

Paul Schinder
schinder@pobox.com