Re: [MacPerl] CommConnect parameters

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, David Muller wrote:

> Hi,
> I've just started using Macperl but I can't seem to determine how to use
> CommConnect to change my express modem settings to answer, enter AT
> commands or dial a phone number via my express modem.
>
> What I'd really like to do is initiate a TCP/IP connection...can anyone
> point me in the right direction?
> -Dave

Never used CommConnect, so I can't comment on that.

As far as TCP/IP, you can use any of the Net, HTTP, LWP, Mail etc etc
modules just as you would on any other OS. If your OpenTransport, PPP and
so forth is set up properly then using a Perl sub which requires a socket
will open one - you'll see PPP start if it's not already up, and so forth.

If you can already run a web browser, email client and what have you from
your machine then you can do Perl TCP/IP things. No magic to it.

If you're into lower-level stuff - doing sockets directly - well,
obviously, that works, too.

You will want to get module bundles like libnet, libwww, and standalones
like URI. Paul Schinder has done much work with these to assure MacOS
compatibility, and I'm sure he will have better recommendations.

Arved Sandstrom