Re: [MacPerl] CommConnect parameters

At 07.37 -0400 1999.04.20, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, David Muller wrote:
>> I've just started using Macperl but I can't seem to determine how to use
>> CommConnect to change my express modem settings to answer, enter AT
>> commands or dial a phone number via my express modem.
>>
>> What I'd really like to do is initiate a TCP/IP connection...can anyone
>> point me in the right direction?
>>
>Never used CommConnect, so I can't comment on that.

I've used it, but only to initiate connections ... I've had to set the
stettings by hand each time CommConnect opens the modem tool.

>As far as TCP/IP, you can use any of the Net, HTTP, LWP, Mail etc etc
>modules just as you would on any other OS. If your OpenTransport, PPP and
>so forth is set up properly then using a Perl sub which requires a socket
>will open one - you'll see PPP start if it's not already up, and so forth.

Well, that is only if you have PPP set up to start up when TCP/IP
connections are attempted.  I have a Mac::Comm::OT_PPP module on CPAN that
can control OT/PPP or the newer Remote Access in OS 8.5, using Apple events
to talk to the Remote Access or PPP Commands OSAXen.

But yes, for non-PPP connections, you should just set it up yourself and
then it should just work.  For PPP connections, you can set up PPP to
connect automatically, or use the Mac::Comm::OT_PPP module or something
like it.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])