Re: [MacPerl] Problem with Random module

On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 12:29:01AM -0500, Richard Gibson wrote:
} I downloaded and tried to install the Random.pm module system for
} MacPerl.  This is the first new module I've attempted to use, so I
} followed the suggestions of the README file (and the MacPerl book) and
} created a new directory called site_perl in the MacPerl Ÿ folder.  I also
} checked the Preferences and added this directory to the search list, even
} though it was apparently already there by default.
}
} Nonetheless, when I try to run the example.pl script, I get the error:
}
} # Math/Random.pm did not return a true value.
} File 'Data:MacPerl Ÿ:Math-Random-0.6-bin-1-MacOS:example.pl'; Line 2
} # BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
} File 'Data:MacPerl Ÿ:Math-Random-0.6-bin-1-MacOS:example.pl'; Line 2

Those are the kinds of errors you get when you don't convert
end-of-lines.  Make sure *all* files in the distribution are Mac text
files, especially :Math:Random.pm.  The easiest way to always make
sure of this is to use Chris Nandor's cpan-mac, either CPAN.pm itself
or the installme.plx script, where conversion is done for you when you
install.

This is also not a module you can install from the base distribution
at CPAN.  You have to use Arved's build, which is in his directory at
CPAN or at http://pudge.net/mmp.

}
} associated with the line:
}
} use Math::Random qw(:all);
}
} Since I've worked hard to follow all the directions I could find, I'm
} puzzled as to why I still can't get this thing to work!
}
} Thanks for any tips,
} Rick
} Texas A&M University