Re: [MacPerl] Problem with Random module

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Richard Gibson wrote:

> I downloaded and tried to install the Random.pm module system for
> MacPerl.  This is the first new module I've attempted to use, so I
> followed the suggestions of the README file (and the MacPerl book) and
> created a new directory called site_perl in the MacPerl Ÿ folder.  I also
> checked the Preferences and added this directory to the search list, even
> though it was apparently already there by default.
>
> Nonetheless, when I try to run the example.pl script, I get the error:
>
> # Math/Random.pm did not return a true value.
> File 'Data:MacPerl Ÿ:Math-Random-0.6-bin-1-MacOS:example.pl'; Line 2
> # BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
> File 'Data:MacPerl Ÿ:Math-Random-0.6-bin-1-MacOS:example.pl'; Line 2
>
> associated with the line:
>
> use Math::Random qw(:all);
>
> Since I've worked hard to follow all the directions I could find, I'm
> puzzled as to why I still can't get this thing to work!

Since I built it for MacPerl I thought I'd better answer this one. :-)

I just (in the last 10 minutes) downloaded, unpacked, installed and tested
this bad boy, and it's OK, so what I'm thinking is that maybe you didn't
put the shared library in the right place.

This module will want you to put Random.pm into :site_perl:Math, assuming
you have HD:MacPerl f:site_perl as one of your search paths (and you say
you do), AND the shared library (appropriate to your platform) into either
:site_perl:MacPPC:auto:Math:Random or
:site_perl:MacCFM68K:auto:Math:Random.

Note: this is somewhat confusing at first glance - the shared library
called Random sits inside a folder called Random, whereas the PM file
Random.pm is in a folder named Math.

If you unpacked with Stuffit, be advised that the shared library is still
a MacBinary and needs to be unstuffed itself.

This should do it. Good luck. Arved